Taking into account its negligible emission and limited capability, Tonga’s intended contributions are designed to be quantified at the national level cascaded to the sector level as follows:
- 50% of electricity generation from renewable sources by 2020. In 2015 renewable energy accounts for approximately 9% of total electricity generation, with confirmed and funded investments taking this to 13% in 2016.
- 70% of electricity generation from renewable sources by 2030
- Improve Energy efficiency through reduction of electricity line losses to 9 percent by 2020 (from a baseline of 18 percent in 2010)
- To double the 2015 number of Marine Protected Areas by 2030
- Sector Emission Reduction Targets: Transport, Agriculture, Environment Friendly Waste Management and Reforestation
- Other Sectors Climate Resilience: Public Infrastructures, foreshore protection, buildings and houses.