ESSA is an international environmental consulting firm with over 37 years of experience in resolving complex natural resource and environmental management problems.
Marine protected areas
Marine protected areas
- Type:OrganisationCountry of registration:CanadaRelation to CTCN:Network MemberSector(s) of expertise:
- Type:OrganisationCountry of registration:United StatesRelation to CTCN:Network Member
The Wildlife Conservation Society is a global non-profit organization with over 120 years of experience in biodiversity conservation. WCS team have expertise on technology solutions like climate scenarios projection for biodiversity adaptation,mitigate emissions of forest carbon, guide climate-smart development planning, and develop solutions that create social and economic resilience to climate change.
- Type:OrganisationKnowledge partnerCountry of registration:NorwayRelation to CTCN:Network MemberKnowledge PartnerSector(s) of expertise:
GRID-Arendal is a Norwegian foundation that supports the United Nations Environment Programme. It is a centre of excellence for the scientific analysis of environmental issues in many areas including environmental assessments, ocean issues and polar regions.
- Type:OrganisationCountry of registration:South KoreaRelation to CTCN:Network Member
GIST was established in 1993 by the Korean government as a research-oriented graduate school to train highly qualified scientists and engineers and to foster scientific and technological achievements. In 2010, GIST established GIST College to create a liberal arts based science curriculum for undergraduates. The strong research capability of GIST was reflected by the 2015/2016 QS World University Rankings when GIST was ranked number 2 in the world for citations per faculty.
- Type:OrganisationCountry of registration:MauritiusRelation to CTCN:TA proponentSector(s) of expertise:
Formerly known as the Mauritius Marine Authority (MMA), the MPA is the sole national port authority set up under the Ports Act 1998, to regulate and control the port sectors in Mauritius and Rodrigues. The MPA is a landlord port authority, providing the main port infrastructure and superstructure, together with related facilities. It also provides marine services and navigation aids, while it regulates and controls all port activities and environmental issues within the designated port areas.
- Type:OrganisationKnowledge partnerCountry of registration:SwitzerlandRelation to CTCN:Network MemberKnowledge PartnerSector(s) of expertise:
International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources IUCN's mission is to influence, encourage and assist societies throughout the world to conserve the integrity and diversity of nature and to ensure that any use of natural resources is equitable and ecologically sustainable.
- Type:OrganisationKnowledge partnerCountry of registration:CanadaRelation to CTCN:Network MemberKnowledge PartnerSector(s) of expertise:
UNU-INWEH is a member of the United Nations University family of organizations. It is the United Nations Think Tank on Water created by the UNU Governing Council in 1996. The vision of the institute is a world free of water problems where sustainable human development and environmental health and security are assured for all.
- Type:OrganisationCountry of registration:FranceRelation to CTCN:Network MemberSector(s) of expertise:
IRD - Institut de Recherche pour le Développement (Research Institute for Development) - is a research organization based in France that is working with its partners in the South to address international development issues. Improving health, understanding social changes, and protecting the environment are the main pillars of its work towards achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). IRD work includes interdisciplinary scientific research, capacity building and nurturing innovation in more than fifty countries worldwide.
- Type:OrganisationKnowledge partnerCountry of registration:IndiaRelation to CTCN:Network MemberKnowledge PartnerSector(s) of expertise:
NERCI, a non-profit research centre was established in 1999 to conduct basic and applied research in ocean and atmospheric sciences and coastal zone management. Its vision is to improve our understanding of climate change, its impact on the monsoon and ocean circulation and ecosystems in the Indian Ocean using in situ observations, satellite data and numerical ocean and climate models.
- Type:PublicationPublication date:Objective:Approach:
Global warming events and storms are expected to increase in the future, along with significant coastal population growth and development. This report finds that it will therefore be essential to effectively control marine pollution and coastal development in order to build resilience and enhance the ability of coral reefs to recover from severe weather events.