This Technology Transfer Advances Myanmar's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to reduce climate change vulnerability and reduce poverty in rural areas and for subsistence farmers as a priority, and to continue the work of developing flood and drought early warning systems for reducing the vulnerability of local communities to extreme weather events.
Myanmar’s National Adaptation Program of Action (NAPA) states there is an urgent need for Myanmar’s communities and economic sectors to adapt to climate change and variability (UNEP, 2012). The agricultural and water sectors are some of the main areas in need of adaptation technology and approaches to deal with the impacts of climate change. The CTCN assistance is requested for improved information in relation to the development of climate resilient solutions for the key sectors in Myanmar: improved and additional data and information, and how it can be applied in relation to climate change, drought and flood assessments in Myanmar.
Requested CTCN Response
To facilitate transfer and capacity building for climate change adaptation focusing on the information base for climate resilient solutions:
• Data and information availability
• Drought and flood management
• Climate forecast
• Climate projection
• Validation and testing
• Dissemination and capacity building
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
• Establishment of reliably and timely data and information for Myanmar used for climate change assessments, drought and flood management
• Improved access to the latest available climate models, ensuring up-to-date climate projections are available to stakeholders
• Increased use of more advanced technologies and enhanced knowledge for climate related studies as the available data will be a required driver for planning and adaptation within the water and agriculture sector in Myanmar
For further information, please see the full technical assistance request in the Documents section.