Decent work and economic growth
Industry, innovation and infrastructure
Sustainable cities and communities
This Technology Transfer Advances Mauritius'
- Nationally Designated Contribution and its priority adaptation action to "improve awareness, enhance rehabilitation and strengthen regulatory framework for protection of beach, dunes and vegetation".
Many of the sandy beaches along the Mauritius coastline are eroding and the erosion will be aggravated due to the impact of Climate Change. The beaches are of great importance for Mauritius, partly as an integrated part of the marine, coral and lagoon environment and partly as an important landscape resource of great importance for the tourism industry. Consequently, it is of great importance to identify sustainable ways of protecting the beaches against historical and future erosion.
The result of the site visit to the potential offshore sand mining areas, as part of the CTCN technical assistance, showed that it was not feasible to use sand from offshore sand mining areas for beach nourishment. DHI, as CTCN expert contracted, has recommended an alternative activity to strengthen the Ministry’s of Social Security, National Solidarity, and Environment and Sustainable Development capacity to manage the existing beaches and to make plans and environmental impact assessments for utilizing land based sand resources.
Strengthen capacity to manage the existing beaches and to make plans and environmental impact assessments for utilizing land based sand resources:
• Identifying possible sites for land based sand mining and making plans for opening a land based sand quarry
• Assisting in making an Environmental Impact Assessment for a land based sand quarry
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
- Beach nourishment
- Coastal monitoring
- Coastal infrastructure rehabilitation
- Sediment management
- Sustainable management and maintenance of Mauritius beaches based on local knowledge and workforce
- Authorities cooperating with local contractors have experience and knowledge on how to maintain the beaches and how to make beach nourishment in case where it becomes necessary
- Sustained income from tourism and associated activities