This Technology Transfer Advances the Seychelle's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to put in place measures to adapt, build resilience and minimise vulnerability to the impacts of climate change, especially in critical sectors such as energy.
- Energy Policy that was proposed in 2010 with a set target for 15% of energy supply to be met from renewable energy sources in 2030.
Until recently, all the electricity in Seychelles was generated by the Public Utilities Corporation using diesel generators. As part of the strategy to transition to 100% renewable energy, regulations have been amended to allow for grid-tied renewable energy systems and the creation of independent power producers (IPPs). This is a rapidly growing sector but is limited by a number of factors, one of which is grid stability. In order to standardize all the connections to the grid, Seychelles needs a unified grid code.
Requested CTCN Response
- Review existing documents, drawings and standards and create a unified national grid code in consultation with the Public Utilities Corporation, Seychelles Energy Commission and the private sector
- Develop a grid code for Seychelles that meets the highest international standards
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
- Grid integration for renewables
- The formulation of a national electricity grid code will enable private sector electricity producers to connect more easily to the grid
- This will reduce the risks for potential investors and encourage the use of more renewable energy
For further information, please see the full technical assistance request in the Documents section.