Decent work and economic growth
This Technology Transfer Advances Mali's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to "Address the climate change challenges relevant to agriculture" and "Implement a technological action plan for adaptation and mitigation, as well as mobilization of local authorities, communities and vulnerable groups, to increase their resilience to climate change by 2020".
Mali has developed policies, strategies, plans and programmes to help address climate change adaptation and mitigation at decentralized and communal levels. Achieving the overall objectives require high impact and low cost climate technologies that strengthen the resilience of vulnerable communities and meet clean development goals. The effective participation of rural populations, particularly women and youth, is vital to the success of these efforts.
The government of Mali requested assistance in the identification of a range of appropriate adaptation climate technologies for farmers and the agriculture communities for each of the agro climatic zones of Mali. The request was made together with the following country partners: National Agency in charge of Environment and Sustainable Development, National Direction of Agriculture, National Direction in charge of Water and Forests, National Direction in charge of Livestock and Hydraulics and Permanent Assembly of Malian Chambers of Commerce.
The CTCN and partner ENDA, Environment and Development Action in the Third World, provided the following technology assistance in Mali:
- Identification of a range of appropriate technologies for adapting to a changing climate adapted to each agro ecological zones of the country, with a focus on sectors such as agriculture and food production, market gardening and fruit arboriculture, composting, renewable energy for productive use (e.g. crop drying and processing), agroforestry, drought etc.
- Dissemination of an easy-to-use Reference Guide of technologies that communities can use to best adapt their agricultural practices with regards to climate change effects. It contains concepts, approaches, methods, tools and different technological solutions, for each of the technologies identified. The guide also contains information on the typology of climate hazards, exposure and sensitivity to help the Malian government manage disaster risks associated with droughts and floods.
- Design and test of a dissemination strategy for the Reference Guide so it can be used and known by a large number of communities and stakeholders in Mali.
- Formulation of key recommendations and steps to the Malian government for ensuring the uptake of best technologies and practices identified in the guide, as well as recommendations for steps to help the Malian government in the development of a funding proposal to enable large-scale deployment of the practical technology solutions detailed in this guide on a pilot basis together with local communities.
For further details, please see Documents section below.
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
- Identification of 20 appropriate technologies for adapting to a changing climate
- Production of a Reference Guide
- Design and begin implementation of a dissemination strategy
- Recommendations and suggestions for financing large scale deployment
- Strengthened knowledge of climate change-related problems and practical adaptive solutions by local communities
- Local and national decision-makers are mainstreaming climate change in the design and implementation of development plans
- Communities in the assistance area are more aware of the role of clean technologies in addressing climate change and managing disasters in Mali.
- Communities in the target area are expected to engage in low carbon development by using cleaner technologies in the agriculture sector
- Clean technologies, green jobs and green enterprises are promoted in Mali.
- Improved climate resilience of Mali’s agro-ecosystems
- The wellbeing and climate resilience of communities and more specifically of the marginalized groups (youth, women, migrants, etc.) are improved as a result of the use of climate smart technologies by the communities.
- The communitie's knowledge of climate change-related problems Mali is enhanced as a result of the use climate smart technologies by the communities
- The resilience of the agro-ecosystems are improved as a result of the use of appropriate climate technologies by the communities.