Sustainable cities and communities
This Technology Transfer Advances Côte d'Ivoire's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to "enhance the established enabling legal, policy and institutional environment for a low carbon emission development pathway to achieve poverty reduction and sustainable development".
In Côte d'Ivoire, climate change is becoming more apparent at all levels and in all sectors, as various anthropogenic pressures and the risk of natural disasters are increasingly recurring. In search for effective solutions to mitigate and adapt to the effects of climate change, up-to date data on the state of the environment and national development are key to monitor changes in critical parameters and enable knowledge-based decision making. However, Côte d’Ivoire has faced a lack of environmental and natural resource data. This lack of sufficient, timely and adequate information frequently resulted in delayed or uninformed decision-making that negatively impacted environmental, societal, and economic sectors. The development of an environmental information system (EIS) can provide a means to access important information on the environment and climate change for decision making. The Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of Côte d’Ivoire took the initiative to develop a Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) platform that aims to prevent and/or cope with the potential threats of climate variations. In order to function, this platform required data to be available through an environment management system.
The Ministry of Environment and Sustainable Development of Côte d'Ivoire requested support in developing an environmental information system (EIS) to coordinate important data and enable sound planning and decision-making.
The CTCN and partners Environment and Development Action in the Third World (ENDA) and World Agroforestry Center (ICRAF), worked closely with government stakeholders to deliver training, develop environmental indicators, propose a sustainable data collection strategy and finally, to explore technology options for the design and use of the EIS hosting platform. They provided the following technology assistance in Côte d'Ivoire.
- Assistance in the establishment of an effective strategy for collection of environmental data and elaboration of specific indicators relevant to climate change
- Support to national stakeholders in the selection of appropriate software and technical equipment to measure data
- Participated in various stages of EIS validation tools (reports, Partnership Framework Convention, EIS Charter, etc.)
- Training on the environmental information system framework
For further details, please see Documents section below
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
- Design of an Environmental Information System that is responsive to the needs of key stakeholders
- An Environmental Information System that coordinates multifaceted environmental data. It is expected that the system will facilitate more informed decision making and planning for key economic and societal sectors of Côte d'Ivoire.
- Provision of environmental information for a range of sectors that can contribute to environmental monitoring and meet the needs of policy makers.
- Greater coordination and planning ability in terms of adaptation strategies and prioritization
- Improved visibility of the state of Côte d'Ivoire’s environment