This Technology Transfer Advances Uruguay's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to reduce emission intensity per unit of GDP by 25% with domestic resources and by 40% with additional means of implementation by 2030.
Uruguay has already embarked on a path towards a diversified electricity/energy matrix with a strong domestic renewable energy component. It is necessary to build local capacities in relation to new non-conventional renewable energies (NCREs) and electricity storage technologies, taking into account future scenarios in which it is not only possible to store surplus in the region but local demand has also developed in sectors prone to consuming more electricity.
Develop a framework for longer-term planning in relation to the measures that Uruguay should pursue for wave, geothermal and concentrated solar energy:
• Developing a national roadmap for geothermal energy, for thermal heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (HVAC) in the residential, industrial and commercial sectors;
• Developing a national roadmap for the development of energy storage technologies;
• Developing a gender-sensitive technical and economic pre-feasibility study for the implementation of a pre-commercial-scale residential HVAC pilot project;
• Developing a national roadmap for wave energy;
• Developing a national roadmap for concentrated solar power
This technical assistance will contribute to the development of a roadmap for the implementation of low enthalpy geothermal energy for thermal conditioning in the residential, industrial and commercial sectors in Uruguay to diversify the use of energy sources in the country. For this, the general objectives of the roadmap and the actors involved will be defined, the current scenario of geothermal energy in the country will be analyzed and the existing barriers to its implementation will be identified, as well as the measures or recommendations to reduce them. With this information, the draft roadmap will be prepared, as well as a concept note to obtain international climate finance on the use of geothermal energy in thermal conditioning in the residential sector.