This Technology Transfer Advances The Dominican Republic's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to adopt Risk Management and Early Warning Systems as a strategic planning approach to climate change adaptation.
As part of its climate change adaptation activities, the Dominican Institute for Integral Development (IDDI) began an initiative to develop and implement new technologies in order to improve dissemination of warnings of impending hydro-meteorological phenomena for the population in high risk areas in the city of Santo Domingo.
Technical Assistance Request
To identify, verify and validate improvements and innovations needed for a rapid early warning and information system of natural hazards.
- Strengthen communications protocols
- Identify new technologies (including mobile phone app)
- Broker private financing for development and scale up of communication
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
- Community-run Early Warning Systems
- Early Warning Systems Communication
- Analysis of existing Early Warning Systems (EWS) affecting the area, mapping of the actors involved in these alert systems, as well as an analysis of the processes in place in the existing EWS
- Study on potential and requirements for introducing new information and communication technologies (especially smartphones and apps) for dissemination of early warnings to the public
- Action plan including project proposals