Affordable and clean energy
This Technology Transfer Advances Timor Leste's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to achieve higher efficiency and less carbon emissions from power generation through the use of (pico/micro-hydro), biomass, biogas, solar PV, wind power at different scales, natural gas power generation, etc.
Climate change is already affecting some rural populations in Timor-Leste, who rely on natural resources to support their families. Timor-Leste is currently facing a lack of awareness of the potential impacts of climate change, as well as limited capacity to respond to it due to limited financial resources, technology and human capacity. The Government therefore wants to improve technical and managerial skills of government technical staff so that they can transfer knowledge and skills to the community regarding access to solar PV.
To support the government, particularly the technical experts in the Ministry of Public Works (National Directorate of Renewable Energy) and the training center Tibarto, and to strengthen Solar PV technical and management capacities:
- Basic skills on the installation of solar PV systems
- Establish community-based utilities
- Design awareness raising programme on various applications of PV systems
- Promote, ensure and sustain good environmental practices and management
- Train on environmental analysis of PV projects, different technologies
- Train on integrated decision making to incorporate environmental issues
This technical assistance will be an important step in achieving the country's goal that “at least half of Timor-Leste energy needs will be provided by renewable energy sources”. This will also strengthen the capacity of the technical staff, and transfer knowledge and skills to the community through awareness raising. Coordination between key ministries will be facilited and strengthened in terms of developing renewable energy projects in Timor-Leste.