Panama is working on the transformation from a traditional scheme of public transportation to a more integrated system, which will offer citizens access to quality and accessible transport services. The recent arrival of natural gas in Panama brings the opportunity to use this fuel in transportation, whilst the advances within the electric mobility field offer a very attractive and more environmentally friendly alternative.
Requested CTCN Response
• Analysis of the introduction of low or zero emission buses in the city
• Analysis of two alternatives that the city is considering: electrical buses and natural gas buses
• Indication of other transport alternatives that can be helpful to strengthen the public transport system
• Capacity building (workshop with all relevant stakeholders; training on the transport model for specialised transport personnel)
• Recommendations of the most appropriate transport technology for Panama, including an economical evaluation of subsidies, real operational costs of the current system and of the proposed solutions