Ethiopia has a huge geothermal potential, and various studies have been conducted in the past to understand the type and nature of those resources. However, thus far, there has been little done in terms of utilization of the resources, except a small power plant installed at Aluto Langano prospect. The main reasons for the lack of modern direct utilization are mainly related to the absence of local capacity to study the technical and financial feasibility of its use.
- Economically evaluate direct utilization of geothermal energy
- Identify appropriate uses and technologies
- Provide engineering design of direct geothermal uses in specific pilot areas in Ethiopia
- Feasibility of direct utilization of geothermal resources will be better understood
- Potentially prove that geothermal resources are a viable means for Ethiopia to meet its greenhouse gas reduction quotas if it can displace the use of biomass and fossil fuels
- Improvement in livlihoods and job creation for those living near geothermal areas