This Technology Transfer Advances Lao's
- Nationally Determined Contribution to increase resilience of urban development and infrastructure to climate change and address the lack of information, knowledge and capacity on vulnerability assessments.
In the context of rapid urbanization, Laos is considered highly vulnerable to climate change. Significant damages are expected from climate-induced extreme events, mainly floods, drought and soil erosion and could significantly impact the country’s hydrology, ecology, agriculture, fisheries and aquaculture, navigation and hydro-power development.
Requested CTCN Response
- Conduct city climate vulnerability assessments, which will provide information and analysis on how people living in six selected cities are currently at risk from climate change and how they will be impacted under future climate scenarios
- Identify ecosystem based adaptation interventions that will be able to respond sufficiently to reducing climate risks faced by cities
Relevant Technologies and Approaches
- Developed capacity of state and municipal authorities in Laos to address national and sub-national adaptation priorities as a result of using data to inform the design of on-the-ground adaptation action
- Environmental and social co-benefits such as enhanced provision of water and waste treatment through improved ecosystem management