Blockchain technologies have been finding real-world utility globally and across the developing world over the last years. An increasing number of blockchain use-cases are being developed as innovators and innovation ecosystems identify new ways of creating value. Blockchain is recognized as a tool with the ability to create transparency and accountability, increase security and privacy, and reduce costs.
"Blockchain technologies have a great potential for addressing challenges linked to climate change all over the world, whether it is to trace emissions and sustainability in supply chains, to introduce transparent carbon accounting systems, to reduce transaction costs in decentralized energy systems or to increase the transparency in mitigation and adaptation financing. We want to help our stakeholders to build and share knowledge on blockchain technologies and explore viable use-cases for climate change mitigation and adaptation together", said CTCN Director Dr. Rose Mwebaza.
The UN Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN) together with its network member the Blockchain & Climate Institute (BCI) organizes the Blockchain Technologies for Climate Policy Implementation – Webinar Series with 6 webinars between November 2021 and January 2022. Leading BCI experts together with guest speakers from the public and private sector will introduce blockchain concepts and use-cases across areas such as governance, renewable energy, climate mitigation and adaptation, carbon markets and value chains.
- Webinar 1. Blockchain 101 and Governance, 19 November 2021
- Webinar 2. Transitioning to Clean Energy through Blockchain, 26 November 2021
- Webinar 3. Enhancing Adaptation Finance through Blockchain, 3 December 2021
- Webinar 4. Supporting Mitigation Finance through Blockchain, 10 December 2021
- Webinar 5. Managing Carbon Emissions through Blockchain, 14 January 2022
- Webinar 6. Creating Sustainable Value Chains through Blockchain, 21 January 2022
Earlier this year, the CTCN invited its National Designated Entities (NDEs) to attend a five-week interactive online course focusing on blockchain solutions and other emerging technologies for global climate action.