The Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN) led the ‘Technologies & Practices’ session for the Nature-based Resilience Stream at the 7th Asia-Pacific Adaptation Forum (APAN Forum). The session "Harnessing Climate Technologies and Practices to Strengthen Nature-based Resilience" was held on 11th March 2021 at 2:00 - 3:30 pm Bangkok time (8:00 – 9:30 am CET).
This session explored the growing evidence that is being generated in the region on the use and effectiveness of nature-based resilience approaches, in particular those leveraging innovative adaptation technologies and practices, to strengthen both resilience of human and natural ecosystems. The keynote speaker, CTCN Director Dr. Rose Mwebaza, highlighted the important role that Nature-based Solutions (NbS) play in climate change response. NbS have been shown to provide multiple cross-sectoral benefits, and address vital risk arising from the COVID-19 pandemic. Dr. Mwebaza also indicated that international cooperation is required for developing countries to facilitate the use of nature-based climate technologies and practices for climate change response, disaster risk reduction and current and post pandemic recovery, as well as share knowledge and lessons learned from their usage.
It was agreed that NbS are increasingly used and are demonstrating their effectiveness in different areas, including disaster risk reduction, climate resilience, water resource management and biodiversity. Technologies and practices for nature-based resilience could contribute to building back a better society. However, more efforts and attention are required to facilitate the use of NbS and the engagement of stakeholders, including private sector, in building nature-based resilience.
• Dr. Sanjay Srivastava, Chief, Disaster Risk Reduction, UNESCAP
• Dr. Hak Mao, Director, Department of Climate Change, General Secretariat of the National Council for Sustainable Development, Ministry of Environment, Cambodia (NDE)
• Ms. Maija Bertule, Senior Technical Advisor, UNEP-DHI Centre on Water and Environment
• Ms. Trupti Jain, Founder Director, Naireeta Services Private Limited
• Mr. Roland Treitler, Senior Advisor, GIZ
• Ms. Clara Landeiro, Regional Manager Asia-Pacific, CTCN