Korea East-West Power Co., Ltd.(hereinafter “EWP”) is one of the six subsidiaries for power generation separated from the Korea Electric Power Corporation in 2001 in accordance with the Act on the Promotion of Restructuring of the Electric Power Industry of the Government. Now its generation capacity is 9.2% of the entire domestic electricity consumption. EWP has 2,532 employees, 11,191.4MWs of installed capacity mostly composed of thermal and combined cycle powers. Out of the total installed capacity, the installed capacity for renewable energy such as mini hydro power, photovoltaic power, fuel cell, wind power and biomass is 78.5MW, which accounts for 0.7% of the total installed capacity.
EWP maintains a three-headquarters system consisting of the planning Group, Engineering Group, and Business Development Group, while reorganizing the Climate Change & Environment Division into a separate organization under the Engineering Group to reflect its commitment to protecting the environment.
For achieving the company mission “We make energy for happiness” and vision “Enrich the world with clean energy”, EWP maintains an environmental conservation system to preserve a clean environment. The operation of a power plant that is harmonized with the environment is the top priority of EWP. Furthermore, EWP set-up 3 key plans listed below.
(1) Global Leader in Power Generation Industry for Low-carbon Green Management
(2) Reduce 10% from BAU(Business as Usual) GHG emissions by 2020 ( Invest 4 trillion won in green energy)
(3) Carbon Management G3
- Reduction of GHG : improve power generation efficiency/ Save energy, Develop technologies for reduction of GHG
- Green Growth: Expand new & renewable energy, Establish green infra-structure
- Green Culture: Create a green workplace, Practice green life