The Fossil-free Energy Districts project, FED - a unique local digital marketplace for electricity, heating and cooling at Johanneberg Science Park. FED is an innovative effort to decrease the use of energy and the dependence on fossil fuel in a built environment. The area is outside the energy distribution concession and has provided the opportunity for testing and evaluating a local energy market. The digital trading platform will optimize the use of low-grade energy to replace primary energy. It is possible to buy and sell energy between the houses - one building's energy is used as surplus in another.
Creating a digital service market in this way means that we do not need to lay cables in the ground. The market players with their local production of electricity, heating and cooling connects up to central energy distribution systems. All players are connected to the electricity mains which can detect the need to sell and buy electricity from the energy stores at local properties. It is digitally possible to advertise the need to buy electricity at an hourly level and to sell it at second level.
The FED Energy system includes:
* 24 consumers (premises, homes, electrical vehicle charging)
* 11 prosumers (solar PV, heat pump and cooling units)
* 2 producers (biofueled heat and power, heat pumps, cooling units, solar PV, turbine)
* 16 storage units (building thermal inertia, water storage for cooling, PCM storage for cooling, Li-Ion battery storages)
* 3 external producers (electrical, district heating, district cooling)
The trading system was successfully implemented in June 2018 and all investments were in operation by January 2019.
Results show that it is possible to reduce costs by approx. 5 per cent and that CO2 emissions can be cut by up to 16 per cent.
In order to realize the project, a triple helix characterized partner group was formed with nine strong partners; The City of Gothenburg, Johanneberg Sciene Park, Göteborg Energi, Business Region Göteborg, Ericsson, RISE Research Institutes of Sweden, Akademiska Hus, Chalmersfastigheter and Chalmers University of Technology.
The FED system and testbed is still active and open for actors interested in learning more and perhaps even collaborate.
Key Learning Points
* You will get an overview of how an area of housing and business can create a market for electricity, cooling and heating.
* You will get an overview of technologies that reduce one-quarter fossil independence.
Length of the FED study visit
* 1, 5 to 2 hours.
* Introduction and presentation of Johanneberg Science Park and the FED Project.
* Demonstration of the 3 D-model of FED.
* Guided tour to see and learn more about the FED-project. Please observe, includes outdoor walking - clothes after weather!
Sven Hultins Plats 2 412 58 Göteborg