Network and Capacity Building Consultant - APPLY HERE
Applications accepted: 31 July 2015-14 August 2015
Work Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
The consultant is expected to support the delivery of CTCN’s mandate by undertaking the following:
- Output 1: Conduct an analysis of the existing network members and prepare a network members engagement strategy for different group of network members. On the basis of this strategy, develop and propose activities/schemes for their engagements with the CTCN and the NDEs.
- Output 2: Establish process work flow and recommend systems for expertise mapping and self- profiling of the network members using the framework for the CTCN database of sectors and technology types which has been already developed. Develop its linkages with the decision support system for selection of network members and consortium partners being developed by CTCN partners.
- Output 3: Conduct assessments and analysis of the new network membership applications and propose recommendations to the CTCN Network and Capacity Building Manager. Manage and continuously update the network member registry and tracking system. Analyse the data and produce reports on various parameters like distribution of network members by geographical regions, Annex 1 and Non Annex 1, mitigation, adaptation or multi focal sectors etc.
- Output 4: Prepare and review documents for the action points pertaining to Network and Capacity Building for the Advisory Board meetings.
- Output 5: Undertake other operational activities of the CTCN as and when requested by the Network and CTCN Capacity Building Manager. The work assignment may include ad-hoc support to Network and Capacity Building Manager in his operational priorities in the following areas:
- a. Contacting new network members;
- b. Undertaking activities pertaining to organization of the Regional forums ;
- c. Organization of webinars and other capacity building products like e-learning, incubator programme, network meetings etc.
Outputs related to the additional work assignment will be discussed and agreed as and when the support is requested.
Duties and Responsibilities:
UNEP, as the lead of a consortium of 13 partner organizations, has been selected as the host for the operational arm of the UNFCCC Technology Mechanism: the Climate Technology Centre and Network (CTCN). The mission of the CTCN is to stimulate technology cooperation and to enhance the development and transfer of climate technologies to developing countries. The CTCN assists developing country Parties at their request, building or strengthening their capacity to prepare and implement climate technology projects that span the technology transfer continuum.
The CTCN supports public and private sector action on mitigation and adaptation, enhancing low-carbon and climate-resilient development in a manner consistent with the capabilities and priorities of recipient countries. It is also mandated to work, in conjunction with the TEC to ensure coherence and synergy within the Technology Mechanism, with the intention of scaling up international collaboration on the development and transfer of technologies (para 5(b) of decision 25/CP.19); and to work, in conjunction with the UNFCCC secretariat, with the intention of further enhancing collaboration and synergies among the bodies under the UNFCCC providing means of implementation to developing countries (these are TEC, CTCN, DPCB, EB of the CDM, GEF and GCF) (para 19(ii) of decision 1/CP.20).
Under direct supervision of the CTCN Network and Capacity Building Manager, and in close cooperation with the Network and Capacity Building team, the consultant will support the CTCN in accordance with operational requirements, contributing to:
- The development of the Climate Technology Network with members of high-level expertise on climate technologies
- The delivery of sound guidance and technical assistance to developing countries requesting support
- The effectiveness and technical quality of CTCN services
The prospective applicant should demonstrate the following skills/competencies:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to synthesise information in a clear and well-structured manner;
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet tight deadlines;
- Ability to plan, prioritize and deliver tasks effectively and on time;
- Excellent inter-personal skills and ability to work in a dynamic team.
- Timely submission of outputs (interim and final versions)
- High-quality level in terms of analysis and recommendations provided
Academic Qualifications: University degree, preferably in environmental sciences, business administration, international development or related studies;
- At least 5 years of experience in the field of climate policies/environment/energy and/or technology transfer for developing countries;
- Understanding and experience with UN programmes, their development and implementation activities is an advantage.
- Understanding and experience in international climate technologies, knowledge sharing or capacity building for developing countries is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- fluency in other UN languages would be an asset