The Climate Technology Centre Network (CTCN) and the Economic Commission for Western Asia (ECWA) Technology Centre (ETC) in cooperation with the National Council for Scientific Research (CNRS) in Lebanon organized a meeting to support countries to access technical and financial opportunities in the Arab region. The meeting was attended by 51 representatives from 15 ESCWA member countries from academia, research institutions, ministries, industry, NGOs, international and regional organizations.
The meeting brought together national focal points for the CTCN (National Designated Entities), of the Green Climate Fund (National Designated Authorities), ESCWA representatives, regional experts and researchers. The objective of the joint meeting was to discuss green and climate technology deployment and access to finance as key means of implementation (MOI) to accelerate the Sustainable development Goals (SDGs) achievement and Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) implementation in the Arab region. Specific objectives of the meeting included to:
- Enhance understanding of green/climate technologies and innovative financing as outlined in Goal 17 of the SDGs focusing on agricultural / food sector (with related other sectors e.g. water & energy sectors), and on conflict waste management in the Arab region
- Support countries in identifying and deploying technologies to achieve the climate targets included in their Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) to the Climate Convention, in the context of the Paris Agreement
- Discuss mobilizing the available technical assistance and financing for technologies and technology transfer introducing the available funding opportunities for the Arab region
- Review options on a way forward to promote the adoption of green technologies and innovative financing taking into account gender and youth perspectives as well as creation of job opportunities
- Discuss further collaboration between Arab countries, ESCWA and CTCN in the areas of technical assistance, networking and knowledge sharing.
The meeting resulted in key messages and recommendations that ESCAW will take into consideration to formulate a set of options on how best to scale up green and climate technology deployment and access to finance.