NDE Training Workshop for Pacific Small Island Developing States
PacGeo is an open access geospatial data repository for the Pacific Region providing premier geophysical, geodetic, and marine spatial data sets. Developed through collaboration between the GeoScience Division of Secretariat of the Pacific Community (GSD/SPC), University of Sydney, Geoscience Australia (GA), and GRID-Arendal. The development of PacGeo was combined with targeted training and capacity building activities conducted at the Pacific Maritime Boundary Working Group Meetings, held twice yearly at the University of Sydney and at other ad hoc events in the region.
International Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) Reporting Services
The forty-sixth sessions of the Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI 46). The Green Climate Fund and the Implementation of the Paris Agreement
The Cook Islands is committed to a future powered by renewable energy with targets of 50% of islands transformed from diesel based to renewable sourced electricity by 2015, to 100% coverage by 2020 (Cook Islands Renewable Electricity Chart, 2011)...Using 2006 as the base year, emission from electricity generation will be reduced by 38% by 2020. Conditional on receiving external support, Cook Islands could reduce emissions from electricity generation by a further 43%, totalling an 81% emissions reduction by 2030 (relative to 2006). The INDC also includes a section on adaptation.
The Joint National Action Plan for Disaster Risk Management and Climate Change Adaptation (JNAP) provides a roadmap to guide the Cook Islands in implementing Priority 5 (Resilience) of the National Sustainable Development Plan (NSDP) 2011 -2015. Two key objectives from JNAP are climate change disaster preparedness and reduced impact from climate change disasters.
This publication showcases some of the most successful approaches and achievements emerging from Small Island Developing States (SIDS), as the world discusses a set of new sustainable development goals for the post-2015 period. This projects focus on a range of actions, including conservation and sustainable use of critical marine and coastal resources, climate change mitigation, adaptation efforts and more.
This paper is about the reducing the vulnerability of coasts through appropriate adaptation measures. This is the focus of the Pacific Adaptation to Climate Change (PACC) programme which has four coastal zone demonstration projects, in the Cook Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, Samoa and Vanuatu. Three of the projects demonstrate ‘climate-proofing’ of coastal infrastructure, and the fourth focuses on community-based integrated coastal management.
This report on the Cook Islands reports on a study which was part of the Pacific Adaptation to Climate Change (PACC) project. PACC focuses on coastal zone management on Mangaia Island. The project is helping to ‘climate-proof’ coastal development, and to develop an integrated coastal management policy and plan for Mangaia.
This technical paper represents an initial attempt to assess the risk of disaster-induced displacement in 21 island states in the South Pacific. It presents results from the second of five planned analyses which correspond with the regional consultations of the Nansen Initiative, a state-led process that brings together representatives from governments, international organisations, civil society, think tanks and other key actors to develop a protection agenda for people displaced across state borders by disasters and the effects of climate change.