Jamaica has abundant potential for the development of its renewable energy resources, including wind, biomass, mini-hydro, photovoltaic and solar energy. In addition, the potential for the conversion of waste to energy, ocean thermal technologies and bio-fuels is being explored. Strategic analyses of renewable energy potentials on the island have identified a pipeline of projects for the electricity and transport sectors, which have the potential to reduce petroleum imports by over 10% by the year 2010.HydropowerThe JPS owns eight hydro-generating units in various parts of the island with a total generating capacity of 23.8 MW and an additional installed potential of 100 MW. JPSCo at present uses the 24 MW of small hydropower as part of its base load capacity. Most of the plants, however, are fairly old and are at present undergoing rehabilitation; the oldest having been commissioned in 1945.Solar energyJamaica has a high solar radiation of approximately 5kWh/m2 per day, or 1,800kWh/m2 per annum, and has market potential for photovoltaic and other solar applications such as solar water heating, electricity generation and solar crop drying.Wind energyIn 2004, a 20.7-MW wind farm consisting of twenty-three 900-KW wind turbines was erected in Wigton, Manchester. In 2011 Jamaica the government announced the official commissioning of Wigton Two – an 18 MW, US$48 million expansion to its existing Wigton Windfarm.The expansion brings the total installed wind power capacity at Wigton to 38 MW.Biomass energyThe dependence on world oil prices has prompted the government to plan for alternative thermal sources such as biomass cogeneration technologies using agricultural waste from sugar production. Many of the sugar factories use most of the bagasse they generate in the juice extraction process, but where there are surpluses, the sugar industry has planned future alternative uses for it, in an effort to reduce the volume of waste products that have to be disposed of. Over the past several years, the MME has reported in its Annual Report that the use of bagasse in Jamaica is consistently in the region of 1.2 million barrels fuel oil equivalent (bfoe).BiofuelsThe government, with the assistance of the Brazilians, has already embarked on a massive drive to develop an ethanol industry from sugar cane. The state-owned refinery, Petrojam, has partnered with Brazil's Coimex Group to rehabilitate a 40-million gallon ethanol plant that has already generated revenues of US$120 million from exports to the United States since 2005. The Brazilian company Coimex will own 51% of the dehydration facility located in Kingston, while the Jamaican Government will own the remaining 49%. Initially, Jamaica will import sugar cane from Brazil until domestic production is viable.