Morocco’s commitment is to reduce its GHG emissions by 32% by 2030 compared to business as usual projected emissions. This commitment is contingent upon gaining access to new sources of finance and enhanced support, compared to that received over the past years, within the context of a new legally-binding agreement under the auspices of the UNFCCC. This target translates into a cumulative reduction of 401 Mt CO2eq over the period 2020-2030. Meeting this target will require an overall investment in the order of USD 45 billion, of which USD 35 billion is conditional upon international support through new climate finance mechanisms, such as the Green Climate Fund.Morocco’s mitigation target is divided into a conditional and unconditional target: The unconditional target is a 13% reduction in GHG emissions by 2030 compared to a business as usual (BAU) scenario, while the conditional target is an additional 19% reduction achievable under certain conditions, which would bring the total GHG reduction to 32% below BAU emission levels by 2030. Note: Morocco reserves the right to revise said BAU scenario on the basis of new analysis by 2020.Morocco has also submitted a section on adaptation, outlining its vision, goals, needs, and system for monitoring and evaluation.
Type of National plan:
CTCN Keyword Matches:
maroc_cpdn_soumise_a_la_ccnucc_-_5_juin_2015.pdf (556.31 KB)