Active Solar Energy Storage (ASES) is an active heat storage system for low- and zero-energy buildings. It is a unique energy system that utilizes, seasonal stores and recycles the sun's energy for heating and domestic hot water in buildings during the winter.
Alelyckan recycling park was developed as a pioneering facility, where objects perceived as waste are received, repaired, processed and sold on site.
The park includes a thrift shop, a workshop for renovating furniture and bicycles, anda store for used building materials like windows, closets, tiles, WCs and even entire porches. Apart from bringing new life to objects and materials, the facilities also offer vocational training for unemployed people.
This Algae pilot is the first of its kind in Sweden. The algae convert unwanted substances to utilities. The goal is that algae cultivation will reduce our emissions of carbon dioxide and purify waste water to minimize over-fertilization of our waters and at the same time produce an energy-rich algae mass that is raw material for biodiesel (algae with high fatty acid content), animal feed (protein-rich algae) etc.
The heating and cooling system of the hospital in Kristianstad uses energy from an aquifer in order to heat the hospital in winter and cool it in summer. This is a unique clean energy solution that uses “free energy” in a creative way. The solution was developed by Region Skåne in cooperation with the company Malmberg Water.
Arlanda Airport has managed to reduce its emissions of carbon dioxide with 50 %. A strong contributing factor to the reduced emissions has been the investment in geo energy, which is taken from an underground aquifer.
Since 2003 the waste water from the town of Trosa (about 4500 citizens) has been treated in artificial wetlands, after the basic treatment in the sewage plant. Thanks to the wetlands the Trosa river and the town bay have been spared from eutrophicating substances (plant nutrients) as well as contagious substances (pathogenes). Besides the value of purifying the water, the wetlands are a popular recreation area. The wetlands are used for education and many study visits are made here.
Developer and supplier of high-tech systems for cost efficient pre-treatment of biomass for use in heat and power generation, conversion to liquid fuels and production of green chemicals. Based on over ten years of research, BioEndev has developed an innovative torrefaction technology for production of black pellets. With over 10 patents we have an unique technology with high process control and availability. Black pellets resembles fossile coal in many ways but is renewable and carbon neutral. Black pellets are hydrophobic and has up to 50% higher energy density compared to white pellets.
In a unique project, Fortum provides Nynas AB refinery in Nynäshamn with process steam, coming from the biofuel-powered cogeneration plant. In return, Fortum is given access to the surplus heat from the refinery, which they will use to heat Nynäshamn’s municipality. This project will result in reduced emissions of carbon dioxide, with nearly 100 000 t / year.
The district heating plant in Bålsta supplies Håbo municipality with environmentally-friendly heat and hot water. The plant consists of three boilers: a wood chip boiler, a pellet boiler and an oil-fired boiler, which together represent 80% of the plants total energy production. The remaining 20% are taken from a adjucent gypsum factory, whose waste heat is led to the boiler through pipes.
Low-speed electric vehicles in combination with specially designed trailers collect sorted waste fractions and distribute the goods to various recipients.
At the Campus Lindholmen transport terminal, goods and waste from fifteen schools and businesses are being consolidated. This solution with low-speed electric vehicles has significantly decreased goods transports in the campus, where nearly 10 000 people visit an area smaller than one tenth of a square kilometer every day.
If you want to know how business and society inspired by Cradle to Cradle can contribute to healthy living environments, then visit Cefur Showroom in Ronneby, southern Sweden. Every company exhibiting in the Showroom is on a journey that will gradually improve the environment while stimulating the economy and corporate growth.
The EU’s largest smart energy cities project, CELSIUS, has taken a leading role in demonstrating and promoting smart district heating and cooling solutions across Europe. More than 60 cities have now joined the project, coordinated by Sweden’s largest municipal energy company Göteborg Energi and the city.